counters Can You Eat Moldy Cheese? - dialjordan.com

Can You Eat Moldy Cheese?

Can You Eat Moldy Cheese

Can You Eat Moldy Cheese?

When I think of mold, I imagine little green mushrooms in a dark, moist cave. I don’t picture cheeses under the same impression, though. There is no doubt that cheeses can be contaminated by mold, but it is rare that they are consumed in such large amounts that they actually become contaminated. If you’re like me, you’ve probably had a bad experience with mold either as a direct result or as a side effect of another, perhaps more serious health problem.

Some people have even lost their lives to mold and have asked the question can you eat moldy cheese? The answer is yes, but only in the most extreme of cases. Most likely, you wouldn’t see any telltale signs of contamination on the outside of a freshly produced cheese – if there was any to begin with, that is.

We all know that raw eggs can carry salmonella bacteria, which can cause severe food poisoning, so can unpasteurized milk and certain types of yogurt. Can you eat moldy cheese? You may notice a slight odour on the outside of the bottle. If the cheeses are stored in the fridge for long periods, this mould can grow to an alarming amount.

Roqueforti is a very delicious and elegant cheese that pairs well with many different kinds of food. If I were asked, I’d choose Roqueforti over Sapsago and Chianti for a cheese spread that goes well with meat. So can you eat moldy cheese?

The most common cheeses that are often found in kitchens are: Cheddar, Gouda, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, Reisling, Swiss, Gruyere, Colby, Feta, Camembert, Caraway, Gruyere, Grupet, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Pecorino, Ricotta, Cottage, Mysoste and Roquefort. There are also white and red varieties that can be found on the shelves of grocery stores. These cheeses are suitable for consumption on their own or as spreads, either with bread or with pizza. As mentioned, some cheeses like Riesling and Roquefort are more commonly used in gourmet cooking than for baking. Therefore, it’s possible to eat moldy cheeses if you don’t feel comfortable with the other varieties.

See also  Does Olive Oil Expire? How to Make it Last For Years

The problem with cheeses that contain mold is that they can grow in your kitchen without you even knowing it. Just because the mould has a cute shape or is in a jar doesn’t mean that the spores will be present. Spores from blue cheese, for example, would probably survive for years in a dishwasher and other washing machine. If you can’t eat moldy cheese, be sure to remove any spores before putting the food back into the fridge or other cooking devices.

You May Also Like